Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Day 2

Today was grocery day.  I'm usually really good about grocery shopping.  I don't like to do it, so I'm usually in and out.

The only thing that throws off the budget is when I get distracted by other things.  This could be anything from 10 for $10 sales or candles.  It's really I problem. I feel like if I see something that is on a good sale, I have to buy it. Even if I know that we won't eat it before it expires or only 1 person likes it at home.  I still used to buy it.  Then I'd throw it away and add to the food waste.

This all changed when I started shopping at Aldi.  First, it's compact.  There is a limited number of items in the store.  The prices are already rock bottom, so there usually aren't any sales.  There isn't a lot of excess clutter.  Usually they have one aisle with "seasonal" items, such as previously mentioned candle, but I tend to skip that aisle unless they have the seasonal food in the aisle instead of the end cap.

This week I spent a total of $46 dollars at Aldi. This was (almost) everything I needed for 6 meals. 

First, I meal planned.

Monday - Ravioli / Salad
Tuesday - Tacos / Rice
Wednesday - Shrimp / Mashed Potatoes / Vegetable (whatever they had that was fresh)
Thursday - Homemade Pizza / Salad
Friday - French Toast / Bacon / Fruit (Apples which we picked at the orchard last week)
Saturday - Dinner out w/Friends
Sunday - Chili

Second, I shopped my pantry. I went through and marked down what I already had. You'd be amazed at the things you have hidden in the back of the pantry/freezer that you have forgotten about. 

Third, I made my list.  I promised myself I would only buy what was on the list.

Fourth, go shopping.  Here's my final cart:


Total: $45

There were a few things that I couldn't find, so I HAD to go to Kroger.  

At Kroger I bought:

Deli Ham
Popcorn (kernels for the air popper)
Sausage Links
Chocolate Milk

Total: $14

So, our total for the week is $59!  Not bad.

In full disclosure, I did have some items in my pantry.  We also buy all of our meat at Costco in bulk.  I go to Costco about once a month, so I'll update my total from there in another post.

So, how do you save money at the grocery store. Do you like going to smaller grocery stores or do you prefer the bigger, one stop shop stores?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 8

Total Spent:  $51 Kids:  $51 We let the kids eat hot lunch at school if they see something on the menu they would like.  My daught...